A2: The Chinese Castle

This blog is a continuation of my OBDF 110B, but with further study  its content also takes on a new look. First of all, welcome to the castle!




It is almost entirely glass except for a bronze mirror. The role of the mirror here is not only ornament, but more important is to ward off evil. In addition, the jade balustrade and symmetrical layout also indicate that this is a Chinese castle.

In the design, I borrowed it from ancient Chinese architecture. It combines rectangles and circles. Since most of the castle is made up of curve, arc and polyline, I used "Revolve" to get the solid.



Prototype (Week 2)



What are the Chinese characteristics? It's just a building.


"Carved railings and jade steps must still be there" I suddenly remembered the sentence of the ancient poem. So I added the railing. When I subconsciously replicated the other side, I couldn't help but realize that symmetry is one of the striking characteristics of Chinese architecture. Remembering the places of interest I had visited, I had an idea of the layout of the castle.



When I did Boolean, union and difference made me think "concave - convex". On the other hand, my parents' house does have a round glass mirror inbuilt.


I have always advocated minimalism, because less is more. It requires the creator to have the ability to simplify complexity. However, practice is the truth! Thus, before I created the castle, I consolidated what I had learned in class, and then I made these shapes:





Rhino has implemented my design idea, but it couldn't render the way I wanted it to, or even look terrible. Is the glass special or my knowledge limited?



Rhino was overwhelmed by the constant attempts. I had to force myself out of it and think of something new.


What material could match such a simple design? Probably, I have made Patercraft before and this time I chose paper, rendering normal. As for its color, there is nothing comparable to transparency than black and white. Because it is the abstraction of color. However, architecture is not black and white photography, and it would be counterproductive to do it badly. As a result, I spent much more time on patterns than on the building itself. The bronze mirror no longer fit for the castle, so I hid it quietly.





It is a Chinese castle bathed in fog, and the light purple mist makes it dreamlike.



There is a famous Chinese idiom "ZiQiDongLai"(The purple cloud comes from the East). It should be properly understood as the auspicious atmosphere the East. Purple symbolizes fortune. 

                                                                                                                          



                                                                                                                                                  Back

                                                                                                                                         


                                                                                                                                                 Top
 
                                                                                                                                                    Bottom



However, life is but a bed. Home is where the heart is.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A4: 2D Surface Design

A 10: Reverse Eng. Object: HD Render and Exploded View

A11: 3D-PrintableChess Set